Thursday, February 3, 2011

"What's the Worst that Could Happen? You Get Wet."

On my way home at about one-o’clock today, I called to talk to Mom who is home sick from work. I told her about how I chickened out over asking a guy out on a "girl's-preference" date. She reacted about the same way I did after just watching him walk away. “Are you kidding!?” She encouraged me to ask him today when I see him at class, and she said, “What’s the worst that could happen? He will say no.” The way she said it reminded me of something my Dad says. Our family has always had a boat, and we spend all summer out on the lake doing water sports. When my brother and I were much younger we were scared to try skiing and knee-boarding. I was often in tears begging, “No, I don’t want to; don’t make me do it!” Haha, it makes me laugh now! My fear was so irrational! In response to my complaints, Dad would always say, “What’s the worst that could happen? You get wet.” He had a point. When I finally tried getting up on a knee board, I fell in love with it!
“What’s the worst that could happen? You get wet.” A simple phrase that has been very influential in the decisions I’ve made and the person I’ve become. Thanks, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment